Meeting Maker 8.6

Ann Brainard-Dougan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:49:36 -0400

Anyone else using Meeting Maker?

We are concerned both about the timetable for the release of 8.6 and
changes to the technology.  This is a full upgrade requiring both
database and client upgrades and must be completed in advance of the
changes in daylight savings time going into effect in March 07.  The
initial announcement, dated 8/13/06, references an October release,
PeopleCube contacts have indicated a slip to November, and other
indicators have me worried that we can expect a slip to December or January.

This release includes code to deal with the changes in daylight
savings time and a switch from intellisync to Notify Corp. technology
for synchronization of hand held devices both wired and
wireless.  The former necessary and the latter useful but a
significant change both in terms of technology and licensing.

In the past we have not had to individually license users who
synchronized using Palm conduits.  Going forward we will have to do
so which represents a small per user cost in annual maintenance but a
big change in having to estimate and monitor license usage.  The cost
for mobile sync is relatively high.  We have been told it will be
$125 per user (100+ licenses) and $37.50 (30%) per year for maintenance.

I would like to hear others thoughts on the upgrade and would also be
interested in knowing if there is sufficient interest to pursue the
idea of a consortium purchase of wireless licenses?  Are there enough
NERCOMP members dealing with PeopleCube to go after this one?

Thank you in advance for any input!

- Ann

Ann Brainard-Dougan
Software Administrator