Re: FW: EOL for Concurrency of Acrobat

Michael Stark <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:00:21 -0700

Carol,

    The instructional part of UCSD will almost without a doubt be moving to  more widely deploying the free http://www.primopdf.com Primol pdf writer with this change.

     It has been hard enough to deploy concurrent use windows acrobat while keeping the free reader for the 99% of needs we have for acrobat in instructional labs.  And we do control our concurrent use with Sassafras Keyserver.

   Acrobat 8's changes at first blush seem to make the pain level higher than supporting 2 PDF creation tools. Only after release will we see for sure. But I expect this to be counterproductive here to their goals, if Adobe wants Acrobat/pro everywhere.

 I certainly hope Adobe reconsiders.

  Mike

>Brown University depends on concurrent licenses for our Acrobat 7.  What other institutions will be sharing the same pain once Acrobat 8 is released?
>
>Thanks,
>Carol Vaters
>Hardware Acquisition/Software Licensing
>Brown University
>Ofc:    401.863.7476
>eFax:   320.306.0974

Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution
Voice (858) 534-4060   Fax (858) 534-7018     AP&M 1220
internet: [log in to unmask]