Re: FW: [LICENSING] Microsoft Student Select - Is this the transition to Office 2007?

Michael Stark <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:58:43 -0800

   I also echo the difficult situation we will be put in for student select office. The "answer" here will probably be fully packaged product sales via our bookstore as a pricey bandaid to the problem. This will probably also cause us to see an uptick in our downloads of star office as the price delta increases for students between now and February.

    The information on setting up a vista KMS (& MAK) as far as I have been able to deduce is not posted there yet. I too have been looking for all of those same things since the webcast.

  Except for one paragraph in the PlanningVistaDeploymentTWP.doc that discusses how microsoft did their internal vista deployment, the microsoft site seems exceedingly silent on what they describe as an almost necessary KMS for a sane deployment. This leaves us less than a month before we will be hounded for having in place a working solution for vista adopters in our campus and select agreements. And their best practices say they took several months to plan before deployment.

  I also see no hint about when a vista KMS might be able to be deployed using our existing server 2003 servers, rather than setting up a pair of beta longhorn servers per KMS license. I spent much of yesterday trying to find how to do that if I have to. With both select and campus I need 4 instances of the KMS here some time this month, if I believe the ship date via MVLS in the November Subscription letter. (http://selectug.mslicense.com/L1033/currentnews.aspx)

Cheers!

Mike

--
Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution