Re: Front Page Replacement on CA and Vista Activation

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:00:51 -0600

Chuck

By luck I became of aware of this on campus and so talked with MS
Licensing yesterday. They are saying that Designer is really a superset
of Web Expressions and can do non sharepoint sites. Here is what Kelly
told me (long answer)...

First - Sharepoint Designer isn't actually part of Office Enterprise so
you won't get it as part of that suite. However, SharePoint Designer is
the 'natural' upgrade for FrontPage, so anyone with FrontPage on their
Campus Agreement will have the rights to move to SharePoint Designer.
They will also have the right to 'downgrade' to FrontPage if they want
to continue using it.

As of this point, there is no plan to sub Web Expressions but SharePoint
Designer isn't just for Sharepoint - it includes tools that help users
create really dynamic SharePoint sites but it also allows for
non-Sharepoint websites as well. Enoch explained at EduCause that
Sharepoint Designer is actually a superset of Web Expressions.

Here are some points from the FAQ found at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/programs/designer/faq.mspx

A.
 We currently plan to provide localization for these languages: Arabic,
Chinese-Traditional, Chinese-Simple, Chinese-Hong Kong, Czech, Danish,
Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian,
Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese-Brazilian,
Portuguese-European, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish.

Q.
 How is Office SharePoint Designer 2007 different from FrontPage 2003?

A.
 Office SharePoint Designer 2007 builds on FrontPage 2003 technologies
to provide a new level of support for creating and customizing
next-generation SharePoint Web sites. Office SharePoint Designer 2007
has deep editing support for the technologies underlying Windows
SharePoint Services technology such as ASP.NET 2.0, cascading style
sheets, and Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation.

Q.
 How is Office SharePoint Designer 2007 different from Microsoft
Expression Web Designer, announced at the Microsoft Professional
Developers Conference (PDC) 2005?

A.
 Office SharePoint Designer 2007, based on FrontPage 2003 technologies,
puts the emphasis on creating and customizing SharePoint Web sites.
Expression Web Designer is a new product for creating standards-based
Web sites. The two products share common technologies including a
high-fidelity design surface with deep support for cascading style
sheets and ASP.NET.

A.
 Some features of Office SharePoint Designer 2007 require the Microsoft
.NET Framework version 2.0 and Windows Workflow Foundation. To use
ASP.NET features, you must install the Microsoft .NET Framework version
2.0. To edit SharePoint Web sites, you must install both the Microsoft
.NET Framework version 2.0 and Windows Workflow Foundation.

Q.
 Can Office SharePoint Designer 2007 be used to create standards-based
Web sites containing Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML) and
cascading style sheets?

A.
 Yes, Office SharePoint Designer 2007 has excellent support for creating
and editing XHTML pages and for using cascading style sheets to control
the format and layout of pages.

A.
 Yes. You can use Office SharePoint Designer 2007 to open, modify, and
enhance Web pages created in any version of FrontPage.

Q.
 Are Web sites created with Office SharePoint Designer 2007 compatible
with non-Microsoft Web browsers that support Web standards, such as
Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Opera?

A.
 Yes. Office SharePoint Designer 2007 has excellent support for creating
Web pages based on Web standards such as XHTML and cascading style
sheets, and includes built-in compatibility checkers for these
standards. Web sites created with Office SharePoint Designer 2007 are
compatible with any browser that supports these standards.

A.
 Yes. Office SharePoint Designer 2007 can be used with Windows
SharePoint Services version 2 Web sites, including those customized with
FrontPage 2003. You won't be able to use features that require Windows
SharePoint Services (version 3), such as workflow and aggregate data
views.

Q.
 Does Office SharePoint Designer 2007 work only with SharePoint sites?

A.
 Office SharePoint Designer 2007 works with the same types of Web sites
as FrontPage 2003. These include Web sites built on Windows SharePoint
Services, disk-based Web sites, and Web sites built on FrontPage Server
Extensions. Office SharePoint Designer 2007 can also open and edit Web
sites directly with File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Web-based
Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV).

Margaret H. Knox                  [log in to unmask]

Interim Assoc. Vice Chancellor & CIO   (512)322-3774
The University of Texas System
CTJ 2.218 78701
--
At UT Austin: Director, ITS