Re: new activation scheme w/ MCA products beginning w/ Vista

Michael Stark <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:42:02 -0800

  Posted today by "Michael Greene (EDSG)" <[log in to unmask]>, and reposted here with permission.

Greetings all,

The volume license team has posted a TechNet site with guidance on volume activation.  This includes a step-by-step guide and an FAQ.  The site just went live yesterday.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact.mspx

Once you have had a chance to review the site material, if you have remaining questions please feel free to post them here.  We'll do our best to provide information (I was travelling yesterday or would have responded sooner).  I would add to this by noting the volume license team is expecting there to be exceptions for Universities who need a large number of MAK activations in the case of independent departments, disconnected machines, professors who travel, etc, etc.  Whether you should use KMS MAK, or both in combination will depend on your own unique requirements.  Absolutely feel free to reach out to us if you would like to schedule a conference call to discuss this in more detail with your licensing and/or deployment resources.

Thanks!
Michael Greene
Windows Client TSP - US Education

--
Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution