Licensing share of cost matrix

Shahra Meshkaty <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:11:12 -0800

Greetings, I am new to this list and in the quest to establish some
policy at ITS, I am looking for some matrix that your IT uses to
purchase and to share some specialty software costs with colleges and
departments. We provide site license for a limited number of software
that we install on our labs and to faculty stations that are used
campus wide --such as Microsoft products, Adobe, and some of
Macromedia. Furthermore, we provide a different subset of software
such as Matlab, Maplesoft, SAS, SPSS, Minitab and few others that
Academic Technology (a division of ITS) provides in the teaching labs
and to the faculty using it for research or teaching. However, due to
increased demands for certain software combined with increased
licensing fees of some of these packages, we would like to propose
the option of sharing cost with the colleges and departments that
heavily use certain package.  I would like to hear your approach, and
at what breaking point you share the license/maintenance cost with
colleges/departments.

Thank you kindly,
Shahra

Shahra Meshkaty
Information Technology Services
Interim Director of Academic Technology Services
WebCT Administrator
Maher 192, X2298