Re: Licensing share of cost matrix

"Knox, Marg" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:08:30 -0600

I am not sure we go at it that methodically:-). It is hard to come by
central funding where I am, so few things are centrally funded in the
System. Those are more apt to be capital expenditures (e.g., one time
license costs for big items). In the case of Microsoft, each campus pays
their portion (as they do for Oracle, Verisign, and a few other
products). One campus, UT Austin, runs a software distribution center
available to the other campuses as well. Licenses are negotiated and a
method is figured out how to cover the costs. It varies wildly for each
product.  In some cases, student fee money may cover something like
basic software (Austin's portion of Microsoft, anti virus, etc for
students). In other cases it may be dept's work together to get a site
license. And other cases it is handled ala carte with each purchaser
chipping in.

Regards, Marg

Margaret H. Knox                  [log in to unmask]

Interim Assoc. Vice Chancellor & CIO   (512)322-3774
The University of Texas System
CTJ 2.218 78701
--
At UT Austin: Director, ITS