Re: SPSS license

"Trappler, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:33:46 -0800

Hi Shahra,
At UCLA very few software products are centrally funded, and the ones
that are tend to be those that are for the greater good such as
anti-virus, anti-spyware, patch management, etc.  Most other campus-wide
software agreements that we do are basically done by collectivizing the
shared need of all departments on campus for particular product, using
that collective volume as leverage to get the best pricing and terms
possible, then sharing the total cost among the departments that need
the product. The cost sharing is generally based upon the number of
licenses that a department needs.  For example, if we have collective
need for 1,000 licenses for Product X, and the total cost of
implementing the campus agreement for that product is $100,000, then the
shared cost paid by the participating departments would be $100/license.
This process is easier in the saying than in the doing, but we do find
it to be the most equitable method of cost sharing for our needs.  I
hope this helps.

Thomas J. Trappler
Director, UCLA Software Licensing
UCLA Office of Information Technology
5905 Math Sciences, Los Angeles, CA  90095-1557
PH: 310-825-7516, FX: 310-825-6979