Re: SPSS license

Jim Lesslie <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:54:30 -0500

Hi Shahra,
At Queen's in Ontario (~18000 FTE) we are moving toward all software
like SPSS, Maple, Matlab, MS Office etc. being funded by the
departments and/or users. Our central software funds are limited in
purpose to software that is truly of enterprise significance - WebCT,
Oracle, Symantec Antivirus campus-wide. If our university were to all
agree on licensing MS Office (i.e. Campus Agreement) for everyone,
there might be a case to be made for devoting central budget to this.
Here it is still a choice -- Wordperfect continues to have a small
presence on campus. The model of attributing the cost of software to
those using it is easier to sell for research where there is grant
money to work with, but not so easy if the software is used for
teaching, as department operating budgets have to cover the costs.
Most people have seemed accepting of our shift in direction though - so far.

... Jim

At 04:48 PM 06/12/2006, you wrote:
>Thank you Thomas,
>I did in fact do a search on the archive and got a good sense for
>concerns that many of us are sharing.
>To pursuit the dilemma of licensing, share of cost was something
>that I came across in several of the archives. I posted another
>question to the list asking for a matrix that other campuses may be
>using to share the cost of certain software. I am hoping that if i
>put together a list of some major universities or ones at the size
>of ours (7000 FTE or private catholic), then i could convince the
>provost or deans that we need to share some of the cost with
>departments/colleges that predominantly use certain packages. But I
>need to know what others are doing and how do they break down the
>cost. Do they go normally half and half or what formula is used if
>any. Your advise is appreciated.
>
>thanks
>shahra
>
>At 12:28 PM 12/6/2006, you wrote:
>>Hi Shahra,
>>I think you've sent your question to the right list, unfortunately I
>>don't think there's a good/easy answer to your question.  SPSS has been
>>a subject of much concern to and discussion by this many members of this
>>group because we are all pretty much facing the same problems with SPSS.
>>SPSS was also a major point of discussion at our annual meeting this
>>past October.  I think if you search the email archives of this list you
>>will at least be able to get a good idea of the history of the issues
>>that have been discussed.
>>

>>Thomas J. Trappler
>>Director, UCLA Software Licensing
>>UCLA Office of Information Technology
>>5905 Math Sciences, Los Angeles, CA  90095-1557
>>PH: 310-825-7516, FX: 310-825-6979

Jim Lesslie                                             Email:
Manager, Support Services                               Ph: 613-533-2042
Information Technology Services                 Fax: 613-533-6470
Queen's University                                      Kingston, Ontario