Re: SPSS license

"Burns, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:59:53 -0800

Hi Shahra

UBC does not centrally fund any software licenses.  If there is enough
demand, we (IT) coordinate the purchase of some commodity licenses
(Microsoft, Adobe, Anti-Virus etc.) and mathematical and statistical
licenses (SPSS, SAS, SPLUS etc.).  We then provide to the campus on a
user pay basis.  We take the total cost of purchasing and distributing
the license, and divide by the number of people expected to purchase,
and charge back to departments or individuals.

The difficulty with this model vs a centrally funded model is that it's
difficult and time consuming to coordinate the purchases, and a lot of
overhead is spent moving money around.  We also lose much of our
purchasing power across the university as departments begin to negotiate
their own agreements directly with the vendors.

-------------
Jennifer Burns
Director, Support Services
Information Technology
The University of British Columbia

At 04:48 PM 06/12/2006, you wrote:
>Thank you Thomas,
>I did in fact do a search on the archive and got a good sense for
>concerns that many of us are sharing.
>To pursuit the dilemma of licensing, share of cost was something
>that I came across in several of the archives. I posted another
>question to the list asking for a matrix that other campuses may be
>using to share the cost of certain software. I am hoping that if i
>put together a list of some major universities or ones at the size
>of ours (7000 FTE or private catholic), then i could convince the
>provost or deans that we need to share some of the cost with
>departments/colleges that predominantly use certain packages. But I
>need to know what others are doing and how do they break down the
>cost. Do they go normally half and half or what formula is used if
>any. Your advise is appreciated.
>
>thanks
>shahra
>
>At 12:28 PM 12/6/2006, you wrote:
>>Hi Shahra,
>>I think you've sent your question to the right list, unfortunately I
>>don't think there's a good/easy answer to your question.  SPSS has
been
>>a subject of much concern to and discussion by this many members of
this
>>group because we are all pretty much facing the same problems with
SPSS.
>>SPSS was also a major point of discussion at our annual meeting this
>>past October.  I think if you search the email archives of this list
you
>>will at least be able to get a good idea of the history of the issues
>>that have been discussed.
>>

>>Thomas J. Trappler
>>Director, UCLA Software Licensing
>>UCLA Office of Information Technology
>>5905 Math Sciences, Los Angeles, CA  90095-1557
>>PH: 310-825-7516, FX: 310-825-6979

Jim Lesslie                                             Email:
Manager, Support Services                               Ph: 613-533-2042
Information Technology Services                 Fax: 613-533-6470
Queen's University                                      Kingston,
Ontario