Re: Licensing share of cost matrix

Lisa Talpey <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:56:28 -0500

All of our software costs are funded by the individual users or
departments or colleges.  In addition, most of the direct and
indirect costs of the site license operation (1 FTE) are also funded
by the users (built into the fees we charge).  In cases where it
appears that ITS distributes the software for "free" (antivirus) or
when software is installed in general-use labs, the ultimate funding
(budget) is still coming from the colleges.

Regards,
Lisa

>Greetings, I am new to this list and in the quest to establish some
>policy at ITS, I am looking for some matrix that your IT uses to
>purchase and to share some specialty software costs with colleges
>and departments. We provide site license for a limited number of
>software that we install on our labs and to faculty stations that
>are used campus wide --such as Microsoft products, Adobe, and some
>of Macromedia. Furthermore, we provide a different subset of
>software such as Matlab, Maplesoft, SAS, SPSS, Minitab and few
>others that Academic Technology (a division of ITS) provides in the
>teaching labs and to the faculty using it for research or teaching.
>However, due to increased demands for certain software combined with
>increased licensing fees of some of these packages, we would like to
>propose the option of sharing cost with the colleges and departments
>that heavily use certain package.  I would like to hear your
>approach, and at what breaking point you share the
>license/maintenance cost with colleges/departments.
>
>Thank you kindly,
>Shahra
>

>Shahra Meshkaty
>Information Technology Services
>Interim Director of Academic Technology Services
>WebCT Administrator
>Maher 192, X2298

Lisa Talpey
University of Rochester
Information Technology - Site Licensing
755 Library Rd, Rush Rhees G112
Rochester, NY  14627
(585) 275-9139 Voice	 / (585) 273-1023 Fax
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]