Re: SPSS license

Jim Lesslie <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:51:19 -0500

Be forewarned - I am climbing on a soapbox here...

Since we're sharing views on SPSS licensing, I want to offer
something that I would share with the execs at SPSS Inc were I to
have the opportunity (I understand it can be a dissatisfying
experience). Here at Queen's we held off for over a year on
distributing SPSS 13 and 14 (a tactic I saw others on this list had
used), but relented after our academic community started to complain,
and justifiably so. With version 13, SPSS introduced the tethering of
a license to a CPU, and this has caused lots of headaches for many of
us. SPSS has explained that this was necessary to combat piracy,
which we can acknowledge is a real problem for everyone. Their
solution of course leaves a lot to be desired. Our first challenge
was to figure out how to deploy SPSS in the labs we manage - the
obvious solution is the network or concurrent license pool, and this
is now how we provide SPSS in some of our labs (each has its own
image). It's worked well but it costs a lot more per license - I
think triple the cost per seat of a single user license. The campus
wide unlimited license is simply too expensive for us to consider,
and makes JMP really attractive from a costing and accessibility
point of view. I appreciate that a concurrent license pool only has
to be big enough to handle peak demand, but when you factor in having
to dedicate clumps of licenses when class activities need to happen,
the notion of a campus-wide concurrent license pool is more
challenging - and costly.

So what's my point?? If SPSS really want to tackle piracy head on, it
strikes me that they should be promoting the concurrent license
approach. Licenses can be signed out and used for something like 6
months without a persistent network connection to the license server
(for the laptop users). I submit that if reducing piracy that can be
attributed to volume license agreements is such a high-level goal,
SPSS needs to make the concurrent and/or campus-wide alternatives
more affordable for universities and colleges. We simply cannot
afford to make SPSS available in all our labs (500 seats) like we
used to with a campus-wide license, and it is too difficult to use
the cheaper single-user licenses. The result is that SPSS is not as
accessible on our campus, and thus less likely to be the package of
choice for teaching statistics. I assume SPSS is counting on the
reality that the pain-point where a professor decides to switch to a
different stats package is pretty high, and that in certain
disciplines, SPSS will continue to be the preferred stats package
despite the price increases and headaches. We can each draw our own
conclusions what the paramount business goal has been at SPSS for the
past 2 years.

* Vent off *

Does anyone else see it the way I do?? Have I missed something key?

... Jim