Re: MIcrosoft update on MAK activation

Michael Stark <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:19:27 -0800

Marg,

   The single MAK for multiple entities, like in the case like we have in the University of California system where a single 1000 key MAK is used at 10 campuses is intimidating, but if Microsoft is not too worried about it,  I will not worry about it.

    Our current UC System wide Campus agreement MAK has 942 of the 1000 activations left, and we have been assured that it can be made as big as we need long before we get to 0 left.

    (Unlike Adobe with ALM and acrobat 8 activation).

   Our Microsoft KMS, just on the UC San Diego campus, has gone well over that number of activations and looks like a winner in the Volume Licensing 2.0 activation arena. We have 2 KMS activations per UC system campus to start with, in our campus agreement, as well as the 6 activations each of a KMS for the Select 6 enrollments at each campus. And you can use either select 6 or Campus 3 KMS license servers to activate either campus or select 6 VLK 2.0 licenses. (We chose to use the Select 6 KMS license as it is perpetual not rented/leased like campus).

  In comparison to Adobe, Microsoft did things pretty well so far with KMS/MAK. (But I hate having yet another layer of activation/license confirmation). Separating the activation from the licensing was a step in the right direction on the Microsoft folks part. And using KMS stops us from having to type in a 25 digit code at all.... a manpower win.

 New related topic question. Does anyone have a good thing to say about Adobe's new acrobat 8 volume license activation (e-license)?

Mike

>I am disappointed that we can not get a MAK key for each of our campuses....
>
>Regards, Marg
>Margaret H. Knox                  [log in to unmask]
>Interim Assoc. Vice Chancellor & CIO   (512)322-3774
>The University of Texas System
>CTJ 2.218 78701
>--
>At UT Austin: Director, ITS
>FAC 248I 78712

       --snip---

--
Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution