Re: MIcrosoft update on MAK activation - no missing sentence

Michael Stark <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:16:23 -0800

Debbie,

    The MAK activation model for Vista is "ok", but if your MAK leaks you will need to go through the process of getting a new one, and anyone legitimately trying to use the old one will need to get that new one from you. So support costs go up marginally over current single level VLK 1.0, like used with win XP or office 2007.

  I'm a fan of the KMS these days for VLK 2.0 activation when looking down the line. I like not having to type in 25 digit serial numbers/activation numbers over and over in office, server, windows or whatever comes next in "VLK 2.0" volume licensing.  Microsoft has said that server and the next windows office will be VLK 2.0 activated.

  And if a Tufts Prof comes to UC San Diego for 9 months with a laptop using KMS, his tufts KMS license will continue to be activated by the UC San Diego KMS while here. And then he will have 210 days to activate again at Tufts when he returns. All he needs to do really is boot once using DHCP like they may do on a wireless network.. Once they have authenticated access to the local DNS domain, they will get a new 6 month + 30 day extension of the activation.

   If that prof's laptop is stolen some time in the future, the office and windows will deactivate in 6 months unless it ends up elsewhere that uses a volume licensing KMS, and you don't ever need to expose your license key at any time if activated with KMS. (Much less type it in).

  Again MAK is fine.. but you may need different ones over time. For a machine that will never be on the network, MAK is ideal.  But for most of us these days.... who does not use our campus network?

  And being sure that the windows UPGRADED computers we send off to surplus sales type operations don't accidentally skip the step of getting wiped and the original OS re-installed..... that is a thing of the past. Now with the OS upgrade timing out with KMS activation, the worst we mess up is 6 months at the end of our PC life cycle.

Sorry about they missing sentence last attempt to send this.

Mike

>Dear Mike,
>
>We're trying to develop a Vista activation scheme at Tufts, and we're thinking about just using the MAK.  Can you tell me the circumstances under which using the MAK for activation would be inadvisable or unworkable?
>
>Thanks,
>Debbie
>--
>Deborah L. Nanni, Ph.D
>Tufts University
>University Information Technology
>169 Holland Street
>Somerville, MA 02144
>617-627-2889 (phone)
>617-627-3699 (facsimile)
>
>Michael Stark wrote:
>>Marg,
>>
>>   The single MAK for multiple entities, like in the case like we have in the University of California system where a single 1000 key MAK is used at 10 campuses is intimidating, but if Microsoft is not too worried about it,  I will not worry about it.
>>
>>    Our current UC System wide Campus agreement MAK has 942 of the 1000 activations left, and we have been assured that it can be made as big as we need long before we get to 0 left.
>>
>>    (Unlike Adobe with ALM and acrobat 8 activation).
>>
>>   Our Microsoft KMS, just on the UC San Diego campus, has gone well over that number of activations and looks like a winner in the Volume Licensing 2.0 activation arena. We have 2 KMS activations per UC system campus to start with, in our campus agreement, as well as the 6 activations each of a KMS for the Select 6 enrollments at each campus. And you can use either select 6 or Campus 3 KMS license servers to activate either campus or select 6 VLK 2.0 licenses. (We chose to use the Select 6 KMS license as it is perpetual not rented/leased like campus).
>>
>>  In comparison to Adobe, Microsoft did things pretty well so far with KMS/MAK. (But I hate having yet another layer of activation/license confirmation). Separating the activation from the licensing was a step in the right direction on the Microsoft folks part. And using KMS stops us from having to type in a 25 digit code at all.... a manpower win.
>>
>> New related topic question. Does anyone have a good thing to say about Adobe's new acrobat 8 volume license activation (e-license)?
>>
>>Mike
>>

>>>I am disappointed that we can not get a MAK key for each of our campuses....
>>>
>>>Regards, Marg
>>>____________________________________________________
>>>Margaret H. Knox                  [log in to unmask]
>>>Interim Assoc. Vice Chancellor & CIO   (512)322-3774
>>>The University of Texas System
>>>CTJ 2.218 78701
>>>--
>>>At UT Austin: Director, ITS
>>>FAC 248I 78712
>>

>>       --snip---

Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution
Voice (858) 534-4060   Fax (858) 534-7018     AP&M 1220
internet: [log in to unmask]