Re: MIcrosoft update on MAK activation

Bob Hudack <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:23:00 -0800

Debbie,

I believe these are situations where using a MAK only is problematic...

1) If computers are re-imaged, as happens frequently in student
labs.  Each re-install counts against your MAK count.

2) If different sysadmins are working independently and are unaware
that the MAK has an upper limit.  I can imagine folks rushing to get
Vista installed on a bunch of computers for the Fall term. Suddenly
you run out of activations. Then someone has to contact Microsoft to
get the limit bumped up.  What's the turnaround time?

A perhaps mitigating, perhaps complicating factor is that the
computers will work just fine without activation for 30 days... Then
the computers drop into Reduced Functionality mode until activated.

Bob Hudack
Network & Academic Computing Services
Response Center
UC Irvine
(949) 824-6759

"Building the Campus Computing Community"