Re: should we pay for software licensing insurance

Warren Robords <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:51:59 -0600

Not quite sure what they're talking about. How does a license (a right
to use) get lost, stolen, or damaged? You've either purchased it and own
it, or you haven't purchased it and you don't own it. Unless both you
and the vendor lose all records of the purchase, I don't see how you can
lose a software license. A thief could steal an installation key, but
that's not a license. And a damaged license is stranger still....

Marg Knox wrote:
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/foster/2006/02/24_a368.html#a368
>
> Should we pay for software licensing insurance. See above for one
> person's opinion.
>
> Regards, Marg

> Margaret H. Knox       [log in to unmask]
> Director                      (512) 475-9224
> The University of Texas
> ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
> OTIS - System wide Strategies
> FAC 248 I (at Austin)78712