Re: SPSS

"Trappler, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:18:52 -0800

Hi Marg,
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but I just wanted to
comment on the current status of UCLA's relationship with SPSS.  In
terms of their licensing structure and the complete lack of
responsiveness on the part of their representatives to the licensing
needs of our campus (and I suspect others), I would say that SPSS is
currently near the top of our list of most difficult vendors.  If anyone
is making any headway in terms of negotiating favorable pricing and/or
terms with SPSS I would very much like to hear about it.  Thanks!

Thomas J. Trappler
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, UCLA Office of Information
Technology
Manager, UCLA Software Central
5905 Math Sciences, Los Angeles, CA  90095-1557
PH: 310-825-7516, FX: 310-825-6979
Email: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Marg Knox [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LICENSING] SPSS

Is anyone doing appreciably better on SPSS issues since we chatted at
Educause?

I have one college who would like to know what alternatives folks are
looking at to replace SPSS (the serious price increase just sent them
crazy as well as the difficulty with SPSS 13)...

Regards, Marg

Margaret H. Knox       [log in to unmask]
Director                      (512) 475-9224
The University of Texas
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
OTIS - System wide Strategies
FAC 248 I (at Austin)78712