Re: SPSS

"Trappler, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:15:32 -0800

UCLA's Statistical Consulting group has drafted a report comparing SAS,
STATA and SPSS.  I thought some might find it useful in relation to this
discussion.  It can be found at:
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/

Since our attempts to have SPSS address our concerns on an individual
basis have not succeeded, we are supportive of any unified efforts
including drafting a formal complaint.

Thomas J. Trappler
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, UCLA Office of Information
Technology
Manager, UCLA Software Central
5905 Math Sciences, Los Angeles, CA  90095-1557
PH: 310-825-7516, FX: 310-825-6979
Email: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: George Schuessler [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] SPSS

We've considered Stata, a variety of open source web programs (sorry but

our statistics guru is currently vacationing in Brazil so I can't
forward actual links until he returns in a few weeks), and even SAS.
Our faculty, however, want to continue with SPSS, as they consider it
the "industry standard" for the sort of research which we do.  After a
substantial increase in cost to move to an Enterprise license to get the

same functionality in v13 that we had with our previous perpetually
licensed software (site license), we will now have to bite the bullet
again to upgrade to a perpetual enterprise license.  This is due to
numerous complaints over licenses expiring.  I have to agree that SPSS
has become our most difficult vendor to work with.  I can't understand
how they can show so little concern for their user community.  Should we

draft a formal complaint to the president of SPSS?
--George

George Schuessler, Ph.D.
Director of Academic Computing
Teachers College Columbia University