Re: SPSS

"Burns, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:58:13 -0800

Hi everyone from UBC,

Timely email!  In general, I haven't seen any change from our
discussions at Educause.  To address price increases, I am in the middle
of converting to a perpetual license, and adding approximately 200 new
licenses.  I would be interested in talking with someone who could tell
me what to expect in terms of pricing - I have been working with SPSS on
this and have found our rep. to be responsive, but aren't sure what to
expect from negotiations.  The biggest issues I have relates to the huge
capital outlay to get into a perpetual - we aren't funded by the
University, and also the cost for offering Mac O/S.  We simply don't
have enough volume on the Mac side to justify the cost, yet we aren't
serving a portion of our campus.

In terms of V.13 & 14, we've taken a similar approach to Queen's - we've
been advising people not to upgrade past V.12 unless they are willing to
spend a significant amount of time troubleshooting the install.  Version
14 does not resolve this problem.  For some of those who persisted in
trying to install 13, we've had to issue refunds since they gave up
entirely out of frustration.

I think people want to use SPSS here on campus, and actually the volumes
are increasing here at UBC.  Therefore, I'm definitely interested in
finding ways to influence future relationships between SPSS and the
academic community.

Jennifer Burns
Director, Support Services