Re: SPSS

Ling Ting <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:29:53 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

SPSS has just upgraded to be on the top of my most difficult vendor list
after we have spending more than 4 months trying to work with SPSS to
clear a disagreement regarding licensing term that could, in fact, be
done just within few days if their are willing to do so. The problem
remains unresolved.

Lack of responsiveness from their part really serve a waring call for us
seriously looking for a replacement of SPSS for windows. What
statistical software to have for replacing SPSS is really depend on your
users' needs. Our SPSS users are mainly from social science, education,
and business disciplines. Most student users are those who are with none
or very limited programming experience. Most of them are taking first
stat. or research class. SPSS fits their needs but still not perfect
because we don't have student license available for students to have on
their personal computers. We've tried but unsuccessfully. The
student license is just too much to afford.

Splus and JMP are free to students. JMP offers unlimited campus license
and we can distributed to students for free. Student can purchase JMP
without breaking their packet book after their graduation and work for
someone who cannot afford very expensive stat. software. One example is
for those foreign students who return to their country and have no access
to software like SPSS or SAS. JMP is perfect for them to think about.

The following is one of faculty who I work with closely say about JMP.
It's for your information.

"JMP (according to my biased opinion from someone that for the past 25
years has tried and used in teaching consulting and research most all the
popular commercial and free statistical packages) is the best statistical
discovery tool that should have a space on anyone's researcher toolkit.
It is "best" because it is easier to learn more interactive and capable
enough to accomplish most frequently used data analysis techniques.  I
believe and have personal experience from my teaching that researchers
with some minimal hands on training can improve their productivity with
respect to their data analysis presentation and reporting time."

JMP's web site: http://www.jmp.com/

We will keep SPSS as long as we need and can afford the software.

I use SPSS software for more than 14 years. Personally, I am a die-hard
SPSS user but when we have to look at the big picture and choose the best
teaching/research tools as options for our campus users, personal
preference won't be a factor at all. If anyone from SPSS Inc. read this
message... I wish... SPSS can do much better job and be willing to
listen to their customers especially from academic sites. SPSS can still
have growing revenue (if that is all you care about) by simply offering
better services.  It's just my personal $2cents.

Ling

Ling Ting
Computing Services
University of Arkansas