Re: SPSS

Lisa Talpey <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:42:02 -0500

The shocking price increase for us occurred several years ago; since
then we've had annual but not outrageous increases.  We lost some
users during the big increase (we do full cost recovery), but since
then our user base has increased to the point where we decided to
switch to an annual Enterprise license.  We negotiated hard to make
sure the switch would not cost too much more than we were already
expecting to pay for the increased volume.  This has already paid off
for us as we continue to add users, and also because it allows
concurrent/network licensing in labs etc. and faculty home use. After
some initial hurdles with SPSS 13 installation problems, things have
been going pretty smoothly.

The big disappointment is that SPSS for the Mac has to be licensed
separately and the cost is prohibitive, so we don't license it,
leaving our Mac folks in the lurch.  Our license also does not cover
student computers.

SAS is currently the thorn in our side.  We recently received notice
that they're reviving the plan from two years ago to separate
teaching/research use from administrative use, and to license servers
by CPU.  Have any of you made this switch?  How did it go?

Regards,
Lisa