Re: SPSS

"Twigg, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:52:04 -0700

At Regis University, our costs for SPSS have risen only modestly since
2002.  We have 50 concurrent network licenses.  On another listserv that
I am on most of the issues with SPSS seem to be with the new need of a
network license in order to put SPSS on an image.  The concurrent use
network license allows us to install the software on many more computers
than we have licenses for and we have never hit our concurrent use limit
that I am aware of.

Thank you,
John Twigg
Manager, Field Technology
Regis University
Denver, CO

-----Original Message-----
From: Lisa Talpey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] SPSS

The shocking price increase for us occurred several years ago; since
then we've had annual but not outrageous increases.  We lost some users
during the big increase (we do full cost recovery), but since then our
user base has increased to the point where we decided to switch to an
annual Enterprise license.  We negotiated hard to make sure the switch
would not cost too much more than we were already expecting to pay for
the increased volume.  This has already paid off for us as we continue
to add users, and also because it allows concurrent/network licensing in
labs etc. and faculty home use. After some initial hurdles with SPSS 13
installation problems, things have been going pretty smoothly.

The big disappointment is that SPSS for the Mac has to be licensed
separately and the cost is prohibitive, so we don't license it, leaving
our Mac folks in the lurch.  Our license also does not cover student
computers.

SAS is currently the thorn in our side.  We recently received notice
that they're reviving the plan from two years ago to separate
teaching/research use from administrative use, and to license servers by
CPU.  Have any of you made this switch?  How did it go?

Regards,
Lisa