Re: SPSS

Chuck Sechler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:04:45 -0500

I would have to echo what some others have said, that SPSS has
become, over the past few years, very difficult to deal with. Mostly
in terms of steep price increases and a new licensing scheme with
Auth Codes that assigned ONE Auth Code for 1800 students , 1800
installs maximum, and then expected students to be saints and "only
install on one computer per their license allotment". Of course they
did not. They had disk crashes, viruses, etc and had to reinstall on
new machines, thus using up additional licenses out of the 1800 allotment.

How to solve? I complained. That did not seem to get far. Perhaps, as
some have suggested, a community complaint from academics would
impress upon them how far their policies have affected folks.

JMP. We have JMP. but we are distributing SPSS like crazy. If JMP is
the replacement for SPSS, users at OSU have not learned that yet. If
it were the replacement and we could document that, I'd be more
forceful in trying to establish that as a replacement. I have not
looked at the UCLA study noted here, but I intend to.

I heard a year of more back that some Big Ten schools were not going
to install Version 13 until the licensing issues were ameliorated.
But, realistically, I did not see that as an option for OSU. Unless
there is a viable alternative for the kinds of statistical work that
SPSS does, I would be holding my finger in the dike to say I am not
going to somehow deal with Version 13.

It seems that in all negotiation, that unless you have an alternative
to present to the other side and they believe it, you are holding no
cards at all.

In the end, Big Ten schools negotiated with SPSS on a campuswide
license for participating schools. OSU now has a campuswide license
for faculty, staff and students and all labs for Windows (Base
product, Advanced Models, Regression Models, Tables, Trends,
Categories, Conjoint, Exact Tests and Missing Values Analysis)  and
Mac ( Base product, Advanced Models, Regression Models, Tables,
Trends and Categories). Student home use includes SPSS Base, Advanced
Models, Regression Models and
Tables.  No more Auth codes with a limited number of installs.

It is on annual subscription fee. It is more expensive than we were
paying before when many of the modules were just a few copies,
student use was limited to 1800 and Mac was limited copies. But, it
is not substantially more than we were paying before.  A few Big ten
schools have signed on, and other Big Ten schools are considering at
their next anniversary.

The point is that for me, it seemed OSU had few options to change
SPSS. The collective effort of the Big Ten schools bargaining helped
to bring about a better overall deal for OSU. If there are other
alternatives in statistics we will want to look at them, because this
deal is not cheap, by any means. But, perhaps forming bargaining
consortia would yield a better deal with them, because it gives them
an incentive to deal (bigger sale overall, OR the failure of the deal). chuck.