Microsoft Virtual Server

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:22:42 -0500

I ran across a blog talking about that Microsoft is now making its
Windows Virtual Server 2005 R2 available at no cost (as of yesterday) as
well as now supporting certain configurations of Linux (e.g., Red Hat)
in such an environment. My account manager provided the official MS word
on this:

<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/apr06/04-03virtualizat
ionqa.mspx>

For a moment, I thought this meant that one could run infinite instances
at no charge on any Windows server, but the licensing for OS and the
apps is not the same. It comments on the current OS licensing in the
above article and also that they continue to explore how OS and apps
should be licensed in a virtual server environment...

Regards, Marg

Margaret H. Knox       [log in to unmask]
Director                      (512) 475-9224
The University of Texas
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
OTIS - System wide Strategies
FAC 248 I (at Austin)78712