Apple's Boot Camp and Microsoft Licensing

David Greenfield <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:11:39 -0500

Now that Apple has released Boot Camp allowing a Windows install on a
Mac (although with many support caveats) several on our campus have
gotten excited about this software.  They are seeing good performance
and compatibility.  Great.  Except now we come to the licensing.  We
have dealt with this in a limited role with the various iterations of
Virtual PC, but for us, this is now taking things mainstream.

I have asked my MS account exec if there is any official guidance on
this, and he indicated that something was indeed in the works.  But
in the meantime, is it everyone's understanding that we need a 'new
install' of Windows (from MS Select or shrink-wrapped full versions)
and MCA licenses do not cover such a 'new install'.  Does anyone have
language you have used to communicate this to your campus?

==
David Greenfield, Dir of Student Technology           [log in to unmask]
Illinois State University, Bone Stud Center Rm 206        309/438-8334
Normal, IL  61790-6360                                fax 309/438-8413