Re: Apple's Boot Camp and Microsoft Licensing

Brian Filipiak <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:43:00 -0400

My interpretation:

There's a distinction to be made between a *software upgrade* and a
*License upgrade*.

A *license upgrade* disc may include the full version of the
software, in this case, Windows XP. A license upgrade should include
a full version of a particular piece of software. This would be the
disc you might use to upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP, or, in
this example, the Mac OS.

A *software upgrade* disc, such as the Windows XP SP2 disc for
example, may include only those components of the software which have
changed from the older version to the newer version. The software
upgrade disc might not install a full version of the software in
question.

It is the *software upgrade* version of the Windows XP disc which
will not work for installation of Windows XP on an Intel-based
Macintosh.

Brian

On Apr 17, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Awtonomow, Sheryl wrote:

> Mary - if I may ask, and clarify what I understand --
> Boot Camp is a method to allow a dual-boot option on an Intel-based
> MAC.  If that is true, then you aren't upgrading the MAC Tiger OS,
> you are adding a Windows OS to the Intel-based MAC - if I
> understand from the requirements of Boot Camp from the website and
> Jeff's response, the Boot Camp product won't install the Windows
> upgrade - only the full version (which does not come with Campus).
> Am I understanding that correctly?  I understand the upgrade from a
> qualifying OS according to the campus agreement, and we are able to
> upgrade from a MAC OS to Windows.  It's the gray area that both
> OS's are fully functional on one piece of hardware that is throwing
> me off.
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
> Sheryl Awtonomow
> Brevard Community College

(Note: If I've included a URL in the above message, it will be the
text between the angle < > brackets.)

Brian Filipiak

Webmaster

College of Education