Re: SAS things

"Ferris, Lena" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 May 2006 08:50:24 -0700

Good Morning,

When we received the notice that SAS was changing their licensing structure, I sent an e-mail out to our SAS users explaining the changes and having them respond with how they used the software.  Most are using it for academic/research purposes, but we have a few administrative users.  We plan to buy enough licenses to cover each group.  We'll add language to the web page to explain the differences, and our order form will be updated so the user may select the appropriate license for their needs.

Lena

~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
Lena Ferris, ASM
Software Licensing Manager
Oregon State University

We Listen.  We Care.  We Respond.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Stark [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] SAS things

   At UCSD we have required our SAS users to physically sign a full SAS EULA since 1994. We keep the original signature on file but will accept email signatures for renewals.  We also have a summary page discussing in more human words the intended uses. That links to our online order/renewal form.  http://software.ucsd.edu/ProductFiles/SAS-agreement-05-06.html

   Our users are still more at 8.x than 9.1x it turns out by the way. So keeping up with the latest seems to not be a huge motivator.

  We have among our 8 server licenses, 2 windows terminal server licenses. We run one at 32 bit and one at 64 bit. This is probably our most intensive student use of SAS. By definitions our students are doing academic work, to get access there. (Enrolled in classes requesting SAS, typically grad econ students).

  We do use keyserver to monitor SAS and all our other software for license compliance (ad concurrent uses where possible), but buy a license per seat for labs when it is requested that academic year. (SAS in lab use here is almost "noise" compared to Stata, JMP, SPSS, "R" etc.). Our lab size is typically 20-25 seats so the equation may vary if you have larger per seat labs as the norm.

  Yes we assume student labs are academic and research labs are academic. We have to be careful where we have our medical area researchers located off campus. We have research physically located at a VA hospital as an example, and if they send email from their "local" account, not their university account, things get really confused. So we only communicate outward to the official university email addresses. (Well except to ask for their official address).

Mike

>(I hope this is not a repeat© our mail server had a glitch!)
>
>We are discussing how we will handle various things wrt to (for us) upcoming SAS program,© any insight others can offer is most welcome!
>

>administrative vs learning/research use differences.
>--Are you offering both versions (where applicable)?
>-Do you have purchasers sign something indicating they are clueful that the academic version is restricted in its uses
>-Do you assume that student labs are academic or??
>What do you do about terminal served copies (order admin only, ask person before each use, restrict access base don a sign up procedure???
>Are you using the PC copies in student labs and something like Key server to serve them out for concurrent use (e.g., 25 copies in a hundred seat lab; limit access to 25 concurrent users)
>
>Thanks!

>Margaret H. Knox       [log in to unmask]
>Director                      (512) 475-9224
>The University of Texas
>ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
>OTIS - System wide Strategies
>FAC 248 I (at Austin)78712
>CTJ 2.220 (System Admin.)78701

Mike Stark    U.C. San Diego, Academic Computing Services
Manager, Microsupport & Software Distribution
Voice (858) 534-4060   Fax (858) 534-7018     AP&M 1220
internet: [log in to unmask]     http://software.ucsd.edu/