Re: University Software Licensing Services

Brent Michael West <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:56:55 -0500

We offer essentially the same services (Software Acquisition Management,
Technical Support, Consulting Services, Media Lending Library) as well
as others (CD/DVD Duplication and e-Sales to departments, faculty,
staff, and students - including personal use software).

Our group (comprised of 2 full-time staff and a part-time student) is
within a unit of our campus' IT department.  We are also very closely
affiliated with our counterparts in our other campus' IT departments -
taking lead on most of the contracts to leverage all 3 campuses.  Being
such a large, distributed state university, we interact with units
outside of IT (Purchasing, Central Stores, etc) only when necessary to
order our products.

In case you're interested to see what products we carry, our pricing,
licensing terms, and our snazzy new e-sales homepage, check it out at
http://webstore.uiuc.edu.

The interface after the homepage is run by e-Academy's ELMS product.  It
has worked well for us for the past 5 years but, as our sales volume and
site traffic have increased, we are increasingly becoming aware that
ELMS will not meet the needs of our high volume, complex environment and
are considering our options including writing our own e-sales interface.

Brent