Software as a Service license terms

Malik Rahman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:36:04 -0500

I foresee our college moving in the direction of acquiring some software
as a service from Application Service Providers. I'm certain there are
other institutions that are or will be utilizing this model of software
service acquisition and implementation.

Obviously, these systems are hosted and fully supported by their
respective vendors, our data resides on their systems and there are
various integration points where these systems will interact with
in-house systems. The terms and conditions templates we traditionally
used for outright software licensing don't completely address the
additional issues of service levels, information security, privacy,
remote authentication, integration and data exchange among others.

I'm looking for an example of a T&C document that would encompass the
SaaS model. All ideas and pointers will be appreciated.

Malik K. Rahman
Central Piedmont Community College
Charlotte, North Carolina