Re: Switch Vendors, Tech Support

Paul Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 May 2006 14:05:28 -0500

Lee,

We have used HP AdvanceStack/ProCurve devices since 1998.  We have upgraded
our network a couple of times and have used almost all of their products in
one form or another.  In Chicago, we have a local "sales engineer" that
really acts as tech support as well.  Generally we call their support in
Colorado, but will often engage this local person on the trickier issues.
This may not be the norm.  We generally have not had any issues with
ProCurve's main support and find that calls do get referred to their labs in
Roseville (which is where their chief design work takes place).

My take is that if you are running a standards based Ethernet network, HP is
a very viable and cost effective alternative to the competition.  They have
a great replacement policy (not that we have had to take advantage of it
much) and limited support costs.

Paul D. Walker II
Division Manager, Computer & Network Support
The Moody Bible Institute
820 N. LaSalle Blvd
Chicago, IL 60610
312/329-4392

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Badman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Switch Vendors, Tech Support

As part of a edge/distribution switch vendor consideration exercise, looking
for good or bad comments on the tech support abilities of these switch
vendors:

Extreme
Foundry
HP Procurve

(All set with Cisco)

Looking for sentiments on general tech support availability and
effectiveness, as well as any short good or bad feelings about these
vendors' switches based on your experience. Especially helpful- how do these
switches play in a redundant core? What about with IP multicast? Any
specific features aimed at network security? What about interactions with
Cisco or Airespace wireless?

Looking for short, or long- anything will be valuable.

Thanks in advance-

Lee Badman

Lee Badman
Network Engineer