Re: Clean Access Solution?

Simon Kissler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:45:20 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Casey, J Bart wrote:

> My questions are as follows:
>

> 1)       What experience (good/bad) has each of you had with either of
> these 2 products if any?

We implemented Clean Access last summer and it has improved our
reliability and uptime tremendously and has decreased the amount of
support we need to provide for heavily infected machines from a full-time
staff perspective.

> 2)       Do I understand the capabilities of each correctly?

mostly on target w/ Clean Access. CCA provides some additional features
that require a bit of work but at least for us were a great value add.

> 3)       Does either product need access to the networking equipment in
> use in order to manipulate VLAN membership and ACLs?  (It would make
> sense that it does)

CCA has an inline version (which does not as it is inline to the network
traffic) and an out-of-band version (which does need access to the network
equipment, however, only works with Cisco switches [at this point,
however, with all reasonably current Cisco switches]).

> 4)       Are there other products out there that other institutions are
> using to accomplish this same task?
N/A

> 5)       Are there any recommendations for/against these products?
The product has eased support for residential machines even though that
number continues to increase. We are all-around quite happy with it.

For comparison reference, we are running CCA with 1 manager and 2 servers.
One server is an in-band server for our buildings that use non-cisco
equipment, and one for out-of-band for our cisco buildings. We are
currently supporting roughly 2,500 ports using CCA and will be increasing
that number to about 3,500 throughout this year.

Simon Kissler                                   [log in to unmask]
UNIX Systems Administrator			Phone: (219) 464 6773
Electronic Information Services                 Fax  : (219) 464 5381
Valparaiso University
Kretzmann Hall B22
Valparaiso, IN 46383