Re: Networking urban campus buildings

"Ruiz, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 May 2006 13:05:49 -0400

I was just speaking with Meru about their bonded wireless backbone
technology announced at Interop.  They will be able to very significant
amounts of bandwidth via WiFi but it's not out till later this year
sometime.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Himes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 12:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Networking urban campus buildings

Hi Matthew,

We're using three pairs of [
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/index.html ]Cisco
1400 series 54 Mbps 802.11a wireless bridges to connect different
buildings or sets of buildings to our main campus. If the receiving end
of
all three pairs were not so distant we could actually do
point-to-multipoint, but the locations are at diverse enough points
around
the border of campus to necessitate three distinct pairs.

They have worked great for us--they've been extremely reliable, have
handled our 15-20 Mbps peaks without issue, and are relatively
inexpensive
(about $3500 each/$7-8000 for the pair or so, depending on your
discount).

Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Himes    *    Manager, Network Services
Information Technology     *     Biola University

The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group        Listserv
<[log in to unmask]> on Friday, May 26, 2006 at 6:32 AM -0800