Re: Wired versus wireless

Garret Yoshimi <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 May 2006 10:32:00 -1000

Hi Theresa,

We get challenged fairly often on the question of "why wires" ... here's
my current response.  Due to the increasing demands placed on the
network, including increasing capacity, reliability and security, we
continue to see the wired infrastructure as our primary means to provide
backbone and distribution connectivity for our community of customers.
Of great concern to me, is the increasing (performance) "pressure"
exerted on the infrastructure by real-time and near-real-time
applications, and the growing expectations of our customers as to
capacity and availability of our services.  While smaller in number (at
the moment), there are also those work groups that are requiring local
GigE connections.  Wireless is and will continue to be a key part of our
network infrastructure, providing us with the ability to connect across
difficult geographic barriers, AND to provide reasonable on-campus
overlay to support mobility (i.e. 802.11a/b/g ... for those that prefer
to work outside and unteathered).

Of course, every organization has different needs and relevant
solutions, so some folks may see their needs as significantly different
from ours.

And one final personal note ... about a year ago, to avoid installation
of an ethernet run across two rooms at my house, I opted for an 802.11b
adapter to connect one of our older PCs to the network.  Of note, my
15-year-old avoids using that PC, preferring the one that's hard-wired
to the local router.

Aloha!
garret