Re: dial up access

"Parker, Ron" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:47:04 -0500

We are on the Gulf Coast in Texas so our situation may not be completely
analogous to yours but we keep our modem pool partly for disaster
recovery purposes. In the event that both of our circuits to the
Internet fail or are we are otherwise unreachable for some reason, we
can still get into our campus network via dialup. There are lots of
things that can go wrong with our pretty fiber based circuits for
internet connectivity. Some of these things would not affect the analog
phone line and PRI circuit systems in our local area. As an example, my
DSL connection from my house routes my traffic 100 miles via Houston and
multiple points of failure in between to get back to our campus network
(five miles from my house as the crow flies). We have greatly reduced
the number of available lines and we continue to phase them out as usage
drops off but I plan to keep a minimal number of lines indefinitely. The
equipment is rock solid and paid for (I also have plenty of spares) so
the only cost is for the lines themselves.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College