Re: dial up access

"Metzler, David" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:52:14 -0700

Still providing it, primarily for faculty, but as a last resort for
students.  It's primarily a hold-over, but I think we'd still replace it
if it died.  We're securing it with the CISCO ACS Secure product using
TACACS/RADIUS to authenticate against our network account database.
Students only have access to on-campus resources when using it.

David Metzler
The Evergreen State College

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Bayn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 7:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] dial up access

Nancy asked from Simon's Rock:
>We are currently redesigning our network infrastructure and in the past

>have provided dial up access to our users. We are thinking of phasing
>this out. I'm wondering how many other campuses provide dial-up and
>what measures are taken to secure it.

We still run a modem pool because it hasn't been affected by any network
infrastructure changes that have happened, is a low maintenance item,
and is a cheap alternative for those who haven't discovered the joys of
high-speed access.  Although our modem IPs get monitored and firewalled
just like everything else, we probably achieve our greatest security
protection due to the fact that the local phone system makes it about
impossible to get better than about 35Kb throughput and that makes those
machines unattractive to hackers as well as to P2P users.

Bob
Utah State University