Re: Spanning Tree, HP and Cisco mixed environment

B Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:12:03 +0100

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 01:38:49PM -0400, Lee Badman wrote:
> Wondering if anyone is running a combination of newer Cisco and HP
> switches with redundant links, and what you may be doing for a Spanning
> Tree strategy. Or if you've run into any problems with per VLAN spanning
> tree versus common spanning tree, or anything along these lines that's
> relevant.

We completley removed spanning tree from our network as we found it
actually made the whole thing less resilient. This is simply because there
are so many more things that can go wrong when you use it. This
probability also increases with the number of devices in the loop.

I beieve the only way you can achieve true resilience on reduntant
links is to use layer three routing.

--

Ben Thompson
University of York