Re: Disaster Recovery website

"Metzler, David" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:22:53 -0700

Because of the potential delays associated with DNS alterations, we're working towards setting a permanent emergency.evergreen.edu (or something like it) that is hosted at the peer institution.  It's a simple way of dealing with the issue. That way the DNS entries are out there.  If we had access to our own website, we'd set up a redirector, but if we didn't, then we'd advertise the alternate url.

We haven't finished implementing this, but it's what we thought of that was easy.

David Metzler
The Evergreen State College

________________________________

From: Ibukun Oyewole [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thu 10/19/2006 15:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Disaster Recovery website

Hello all,

It was nice meeting up with you folks once again this year at the Dallas
Educause.

My question is, if there are any universities out there that are
participating in a peering relationship for the purpose of disaster
recovery for your institutions website, and how you have set this up. In
other words, if your university network went down due to a disaster,
visitors to your site would be automatically re-routed to another
university's network who would host a one screen message of your
University's current status.

Thanks.
Ibukun

--