Re: Disaster Recovery website

"Foggi, Nicola" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:59:04 -0500

We are in the process of setting this up as we just shipped a server to a peer university.  The server is actually just a DNS server, and the peer university will host a web page for us.  The TTL on our main site is set to 5 mins, so if there were to be a disaster where our primary dns servers aren't available, we would change the entry on the remaining server to point to the new ip address.

The peer university will also be doing the same thing with a server they are sending us.

Nicola Foggi
Networks and Telecom
DePaul University

-----Original Message-----
From: Ibukun Oyewole [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thu 10/19/2006 5:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Disaster Recovery website

Hello all,

It was nice meeting up with you folks once again this year at the Dallas
Educause.

My question is, if there are any universities out there that are
participating in a peering relationship for the purpose of disaster
recovery for your institutions website, and how you have set this up. In
other words, if your university network went down due to a disaster,
visitors to your site would be automatically re-routed to another
university's network who would host a one screen message of your
University's current status.

Thanks.
Ibukun

--