FW: [NETMAN] Domain Rename Pitfalls

Bret Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:00:50 -0400

John

See comment from my sr. engineer

Thanks

Bret Jones
Director of Technology Engineering
The George Washington University
801 22nd Street NW, Suite B148
Washington, DC 20052
Phone: (202)994-5548
Fax: (202)994-5551
Email: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Michele Chubirka [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:41 PM
To: 'Bret Jones'
Subject: RE: [NETMAN] Domain Rename Pitfalls

They're going to have to deal with the horrors of DNS, application and web
caching, search engine spidering, old referral links, and stubborn users. My
suggestion would be to run the old zone/domain names in parallel with the
new ones for at *least* a year with a stepped migration approach. It will
need to be a very slow phase out. For the web sites, they could eventually
migrate to a wildcard record which would redirect everyone to a virtual host
on the main webserver indicating the new domain name. This is where an
appliance like the Netscaler (or other application load balancer) could help
if the institution has a limited number of IP addresses. Big project, needs
to be carefully planned.