Re: Wired 802.1x

"Green, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:31:04 -0400

Hi Ben,

	We're evaluating .1x on our lab bench. We have found that using
the native XP supplicant demands AD on the back-end for authentication
(MS-chap, MD4 hash, etc). Is this how you are configured? Any insights
on using the native XP supplicant but with LDAP as the authentication
back-end?

Thanks,

Doug Green
Network Manager
University of New Hampshire
Telecom
50 College Rd
Durham NH 03824
(603) 862-4921

Network Mana
-----Original Message-----
From: B Thompson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Wired 802.1x

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 11:41:33AM -0400, Lee Badman wrote:
> Is anyone using 802.1x on the wired network? If so, why did you choose
> to go this route, what benefits are you seeing? Any pitfalls?

Yes, we have done this for about a year. One benefit of 802.1X is that
with the access control happening right at the edge you can drop
straight into a fully resilient layer 3 routed network. Another
advantage to the users is that they only need to log on once as most
supplicants will cache the credentials. Disadvantages: Most people
don't know how to set up the supplicant and need comprehensive help
guides / screenshots. Also if an XP user comes along without SP2 they
will need to download it before they can connect (but this dosen't
seem to happen so much nowadays).

--

Ben Thompson