Re: traffic shaping/mgmt

Ethan Sommer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:16:06 -0600

We don't have a 1Gbps link, but when we got 45M of I2, we didn't want to
upgrade our packeteer. We decided to place the packeteer such that it
shapes our 30M I1 link but not our I2 link. So far we haven't had
problems with our I2 link. We use a Linux router at our border, so our
plan is to use Linux's QoS when it becomes necesary. Linux has mature
L3/L4 QoS, and somewhat less mature L7 classification. (but it works
well for some people.) I believe that Cisco routers can also do L3/L4 QoS.

Depending on what you consider "Enterprise Applications," you may be
able to get away with layer 3/4 QoS, which is probably available in your
router. If you mean people getting to your web server, for example, you
could give that ip address (which probably isn't running Kazaa) a higher
priority. If you mean a research project between two research groups,
you could give traffic between their ip ranges priority, etc.

Ethan

--
Ethan Sommer
UNIX Systems Administrator