Re: traffic shaping/mgmt

Cort Buffington <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:14:13 -0600

While as a state net we don't deal with L7 shaping, I do know that
our largest University runs about 200Mbps of I1/I2 through a device
from Ellacoya (http://www.ellacoya.com/) and seems VERY pleased. I'm
not well versed in the Ellacoya product line, but believe it is a
little different than NetEnforcer or Packeteer.

On Dec 8, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Ron Bunal wrote:

> With 200 Mbps commodity internet service, we have not been happy
> with the Packeteer performance.  We have been evaluating at the
> Allot Netenforcer, and we will be considering Cisco's Service
> Control Engine.
>
> We found that we don't need to shape I2 traffic because the usage
> isn't very high (200 Mbps I2 service).  There is some P2P, but not
> nearly the volume of the commodity internet.
>

> Ron Bunal
> Network and Communication Services
> Syracuse University
> 315-443-3536

> For all the schools out there who are connected to the internet/
> internet2 @ 1Gbps or greater, I am curious how you are accomplishing
> traffic shaping.  Specifically, how do you ensure your enterprise
> applications receive dedicated bandwidth over things like p2p or
> other bandwidth intensive applications?
>
> We currently connect @ 80Mbps and have been very successful with the
> packeteer product line.  However, we are about to connect at 1Gbps
> and the cost for packet shaping at these speeds grows tremendously.
> Has anyone found a creative way to accomplish traffic shaping while
> keeping costs contained?
>

> Chris Chamberlain
> Network Engineer
> Oakland University

Cort Buffington
Assistant Director for Technical Services
KanREN, Inc.
1405 Wakarusa Drive, Lawrence, KS 66049
785-856-9800 x301