Re: Person/Identity Matching

"Finke, Jon E" <[log in to unmask]>

Net@EDU Identity Management Working Group Discussion list

Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:24:00 -0400

Our students and employees are all managed via the same system -
SCT/Banner.  But we still have the matching problems with "guests" - we
wrote our own system to handle that matching/entry problem.

Our primary point of contact for this is the ID card office, to issue
University ID cards (and parking transponders).  They request name, SSN,
DOB and Gender before issuing ID cards - they will accept a University
ID number in place of SSN/DOB/Gender if the person has one (and knows
it).  The goal is to link to an entry in Banner if it exists and load
data from there, otherwise we make the entries in the IDM system
(locally developed, Oracle based).

Matches are attempted based on SSN, then by Lastname+Firstname, then
Lastname+First Initial, and finally Lastname.  This is a manual process
with the ID desk staff looking for good matches and selecting one (or
deciding that there isn't a match, and making a new entry.)  In some
questionable cases, they will wait for the person to show up and ask
them additional questions - they will also check address information -
requesting a catalog will get you into the student database.

Incorrect matches require manual intervention - they are very infrequent
(I don't recall doing any in the past few years).  A much more common
problem is someone who gets in twice - sometimes in Banner, others in
the IDM.  We have a "merge" tool that helps a staff member sort through
all the records, fixing foreign keys and marking others "DO NOT USE".

This system works pretty well in part due to some very dedicated line
staff who are very aggressive about getting good data into the system
and weeding out the bad stuff (I know that I don't have the patience to
do that!)

Jon Finke - Senior Systems Programmer - CMT - RPI
518 276 8185 (voice) - 518 276 2809 (fax) - http://www.rpi.edu/~finkej