Re: guest IDs

"Jones, Mark B" <[log in to unmask]>

Net@EDU Identity Management Working Group Discussion list

Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:21:32 -0500

Tom,
Here is more than you wanted to know about the UT Houston solution.  (I also
answered your questions inline.)
It has been my experience that a Guest Management System is a key component
to any Identity Management infrastructure.  We established our GMS assuming
very light usage.  But soon use cases for guest accounts started showing up
everywhere.  Our GMS is a method for granting anyone access for any reason.
We have found that there is a multitude of exceptions that a GMS can be the
solution for.  What do you do with Contractors, vendors, visiting students,
visiting faculty, research collaborators, auditors, visiting VIPs,
volunteers, retired 'celebrity' faculty, etc.  Our GMS has been in use for
five years.  It started as an add-on to an existing system but has grown
into a full blown independent System of Record.  Here is our official
policy:

Contractors and others having legitimate, professional affiliations with the
university may be granted "guest" access to The University of Texas Houston
Health Science Center at Houston information systems.   To be granted
"guest" access, an individual must be sponsored by a faculty or
administrative and professional (A&P) employee of UTHSC-H.   Sponsors may
request "guest" access for an individual by clicking the "Guest Sponsors"
link above, logging in, and completing the subsequent form. Individuals who
are not university employees or students must be listed in the university
directory service as guests if they are to have non-public access to any
UTHSC-H information resource.

Candidates must read the Information Resources Security: Acknowledgement
Form thoroughly and agree to its five terms.This form must also be signed in
the presence of a Local Registration Administrative Authority (LRAA) at one
of the University's Identity Verification Centers. If a candidate is not in
the Houston area, he or she must appear before a notary public and execute
the procedure described at this link.