View LISTSERV archives

IDM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

IDM Home

IDM  June 2006

IDM June 2006

Re: Groups, Privileges, Permissions solutions

"Barry R. Ribbeck" <[log in to unmask]>

Net@EDU Identity Management Working Group Discussion list

Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:46:18 -0500

Keith
    Rice currently has a production deployment of both Solaris NIS+ and
MSAD along with (way too many) individual service authorizations
embedded in the applications.  We have just deployed an upgraded
enterprise directory that is provisioned using Nexus (open source) that
will be used for services beyond white pages.  We will be working on a
deployment of Grouper as a centralizing tool to manage groups and roles
that could then be provisioned into down stream directories or leveraged
directly by resources.  The main use for these groups and roles would be
web based applications, Unix/Linux/ Windows OS/Mac OS and service linked
authorization.  While Signet is what we would like to use, the best
(fastest, most useful) deployment might be any web based applications,
but we are not able to focus on that level at this time.  I see the real
benefit of Signet in a deeper relationship with applications, but that
will require lots more work in getting applications to accept, leverage
or map to those privileges, but could possibly provide more bang.

We continue to look at commercial products, but they seem to all be
mostly focused on getting you locked into their resource or require
specific proprietary plug-ins.  I feel at this time that commercial
products are still immature for deployment in our institution due to the
scope with which we would like to deploy.  At this time, I have not
found any commercial applications that would allow us the flexibility to
change to another vendors application easily.  None of the commercial or
open source products remove the hard work, such as cataloging
requirements, mapping functionality, defined rules and implementing
policies required to make any of the authorization systems work as
needed.  Most of the commercial products still focus on connectors and
proprietary solutions that are really the easiest part of the work.

Hope this helps
Barry