View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  April 2007

CIO April 2007

<SPAM> Re: [CIO] mobile rapid notification systems

Erin Griffin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:56:04 -0700

I know this thread has continued for quite a while, but I think that
demonstrates the perceived value and timeliness of these types of
communications tools.  To paraphrase Howard Rheingold in "Smart Mobs" - the
future just landed on us.  I think we all understand that the way to
communicate with our students is to find them where they live - connected
via social networking sites, as well as through their most critical personal
appendage, the cell phone.  To that end, we were fortunate to engage with
NTI to provide notification services earlier this year.  I want to
compliment the Connect-Ed team, as they have been terrific to work with, and
extremely professional during a time when they have been rapidly thrust into
the limelight.  Shannon Meadows, Alan Wong - frankly the entire staff from
the CEO down - have been a delight to deal with since our first
conversations with them last summer. I also concur with Tracy's assessment -
for communications that may not need to be instantaneous, but need to be
heard, Facebook seems like the best spot - it certainly seems to have
standardized as the social networking preference of college students.  The
affiliation framework is perfect for higher education, and I'm not sure we'd
need to ask for much from the organization.  I can (and do) currently
communicate with the student body at my campus without any accommodation.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our colleagues, the students, and their
families at Virginia Tech.  I know we are all watching keenly, and feeling
our way through this tragic learning experience.

Erin Griffin