CIO April 2007

Re: Rapid Notification Evaluations

Mark Bruhn <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:00:07 -0400

Good list -- thanks -- good overlap, but you have some things there I will
add to my working list!  As well, some of mine are a bit more
granular/operational, and of course some of these will need additional
explanation as we place them in an RFP:

* Web-based service must be hosted by the provider on their own equipment at
their own premises, in an industry-standard data center facility
* The service must provide an industry-standard level of security, including
security of the data transmission/load, unique individual credentials for
support staff, administrators, and end-contacts, stored data associated with
the Universityıs use and configuration of the service, etc.;  the Indiana
University IT Security Officer will review and render an opinion as to the
adequacy of any/all controls
* Due to the geographic spread of the Indiana University system, the site
hosting the service must be outside of the State of Indiana
* The service must support an adequate number of contacts to satisfy the
current University population, with allowance for reasonable growth
* Service must allow for the initiation and delivery of any length
pre-recorded or ad-hoc message to variety of broadcast mediums (e.g., voice,
voicemail, PDAs, email, pagers, cell phones, facsimile, Internet instant
messaging (IM), SMS, 2-way radio, etc.)
* The service must allow for inclusion of an adequate number (~10) of
broadcast methods for each contact entry.
* The service must have accurate and clear text-to-speech capabilities.
* The service must be able to deliver messages to multiple mediums for each
recipient, simultaneously.
* The service must allow for at least one, preferable multiple, ³global
administrators² who can effect changes to any aspect of the Universityıs
domain in the service, such as contact database, broadcast schedule,
broadcasts, configuration settings, etc.
* Service must allow for the definition by global administrators of
administrator roles, allowing for the segmenting of the allowable targeted
audience per each administrator, given criteria in the University-provided
data.
* Administrators must be able to effect changes within the scope of their
authorization domain, such as edits to contact database, broadcast schedule,
broadcasts, configuration settings, etc.
* The service must have the ability to execute multiple notification
requests simultaneously, initiated in the same session by a single
administrator, or by multiple administrators in separate sessions
* The service must allow an administrator to prioritize broadcasts within
their own authorization domain
* The service must allow global administrators to prioritize broadcasts
across the entire spectrum of broadcasts attributed to the University
* The service must have the ability to send scheduled call outs
* The service must be able to notify and then join multiple contacts into a
joint voice conference
* The service must have the ability to send messages to single or multiple
recipients, using multiple methods, based on a pre-determined schedule
* The service must provide for a variety of default message templates
* Administrators must be able to change or update stored messages prior to a
broadcast, and also the ability to change messages during a broadcast and
have that change reflected in the remaining messages delivered in that
broadcast
* Administrators must be able to pause or cancel a broadcast during an event
* Messages must be storable for broadcast at a trigger date/time
* Recipients must be able to respond to messages, and the response must
account for a variety of information requested of the contacts, dependent on
the particular broadcast
* The system must allow the global administrators the option of defining
³contact changeable² self-service attributes (e.g., ability to add alternate
contact information not loaded from University-provided data)
* Service must provide for defining and targeting segments of the overall
supplied population, using administrator-supplied criteria as compared with
attributes in the University-provided data
* The service must have the ability to accept securely transmitted (perhaps
encrypted) data feeds from University authoritative databases (Indiana
Universityıs student and personnel data are managed through Peoplesoft)
* Ability to interface with Indiana Universityıs central authentication
service
* Demonstrable secure data transmission, host, and database environments
* The service must allow for ad-hoc and standard reports related to
completed broadcast delivery and performance, including data items such as
identifier information of the targeted contacts, time, date, response,
number of attempts made, and status codes (line busy, message delivered,
etc.), and performance information such as total broadcast start, finish,
and elapsed time
* The service must allow for access to broadcast reporting via multiple
means, including via web-page (standard and mobile delivered), telephone,
email, etc.
* The service must allow administrators to monitor broadcast progress in
real-time, including point-in-time successful and unsuccessful
notifications, responses, etc.
* The service must utilize a minimum of TWO completely distinct networks for
voice and data
* The service must be able to start broadcasts to specific contacts or sets
of contacts given input from standard alarm systems (such as building,
environmental, etc.)
* The service must provide a means of allocating costs (to-be-set by the
university) for broadcasts to appropriate administrator domains
* The service must deliver assistance to University service support staff,
administrators, and end-contacts (in accordance with their specific
roles/needs) in a variety of ways, including email, phone, and online chat
support
* The service provider will deliver training appropriate to University
support staff and administrators, and to end-contacts as might be
appropriate

Mark S. Bruhn
Associate Vice President for Information and  Infrastructure Assurance
Indiana University