CIO September 2007

Re: shared services question

"Ouska, Julie" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:59:01 -0600

The Colorado Community College System is a 13 institution system and all
institutions are using the same instance of Banner which is supported by
the central IT organization.  We are using a customized VPD'd version of
Banner.  Although implementation is still in progress for HR & Finance,
overall the Student and Financial Aid areas are operating well.  The
implementation was mandated by legislature which is not the best
approach <grin> and was not without difficulties for a number of reasons
that I won't go into here.  But I think we are on the right track now.
The sheer volume of students (66,000 this fall) has stretched Self
Service Banner to some extent although with some key code fixes/changes
by SunGard we are now operating very well.   This is certainly more
effective that each institution running and supporting its own version
of Banner or running different ERPs.

Julie

Julie Ouska
Director, Business Technology
CCCS Information Technologies
(720) 858-2781 (office)
(720) 989-4755 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: Joanne Chabot [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIO] shared services question

Also in Minnesota, the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System
(32 separately accredited public institutions), share a common ERP.  We
have a single shared database, with separate institutional views.  Our
system includes both 4 year and 2 year institutions, including graduate
programs, traditional four programs, technical certificates, community
college programs, non credit courses, the works.  The ERP supports
virtually every aspect of their student support, operations, finance,
HR, and so on.  Collaboration does pose challenges, but it is a very
cost effective way to operate.

In our System, we have many students taking online courses at one
institution while attending another.  We also have a huge number of
transfers from 2 year to 4 year institutions.  The model we use creates
a much more seamless environment for those shared and transfer students.

Joanne Chabot
Deputy CIO, MnSCU

>>> Jerry Sanders <[log in to unmask]> 9/26/2007 11:09 AM >>>

In Minnesota,  four private schools -  Bethel, St. Catherine,
Northwestern College and Macalester -  have a collaborative ERP (Banner)

project.  Its called the TCC (Twin Cities Collaboration).  We are into
our third year, and the benefits of the collaboration have been very
worthwhile.  Except for geography, our schools are not related, and in
fact are quite different in our mission and character. We each maintain
separate instances of our ERP, but we collaborate on all other facets of

the project.  The relationships we have created in the course of this
project are serving us well in forming other collaborative projects.

I agree with Mike Zastrocky's comments - I can't imagine we won't see
more of this.  Given the risks and costs we manage, it just makes sense.

Jerry Sanders
CIO, Macalester College
1600 Grand avenue
St. Paul, Mn.  55105
651-696-6700

Stephanie Reel wrote:

>Johns Hopkins University has collaborated with the Johns Hopkins Health
System (two separate corporations) to provide ERP services (including
functional service centers for H.R., Payroll, Supply Chain, Finance,
etc) for the Affiliates of the Health Systems (three hospitals, primary
care physicians, insurance company), and the campuses of the University.

>We're new at it... (less than a year), but it seems to be evolving
appropriately.

>steph
>
>Stephanie L. Reel
>Chief Information Officer
>Vice President, Information Systems
>Johns Hopkins Medicine
>Vice Provost for Information Technologies
>Asst. Professor, Div. of Health Science Informatics
>The Johns Hopkins University
>5801 Smith Avenue, Suite 001
>Baltimore, Maryland  21209
>office: 410.735.7333
>fax :    443.287.9356

>The UMass system is providing ERP service for 5 campuses. They are also
providing WebCT hosting for those campus and several of the State and
Community Colleges. Best, Rob

>Dr. Robert Paterson
>Chief Information Officer
>Salem State College
>Salem MA 01970
>978-542-6446

>During a recent Chronicle of Higher Ed "Live Discussion" it was
mentioned that "Shared services and collaborative efforts like the
Wisconsin project will likely be more common and Datatel, SunGard and
Oracle have similar projects in place."

>Not wishing to invite a deluge of vendor email, I was wondering if
folks on the listserv might already be engaged in this for independent
colleges?

>Until now, I was only aware that Drexel was offering some shared ERP
services - I just hadn't seen any shared ERP collaborations outside of
public higher education, such as the quote seems to imply.

>Thank you for any information or references on this.
>
>Regards,
>
>Gary
>
>Gary Hammon
>CIO
>Stonehill College
>Easton, MA 02357
>

>====== excerpt from  http://chronicle.com/live/2007/09/zastrocky/
>
>Where Is IT in Higher Education Headed?
>

>Thursday, September 13, at 12 noon, U.S. Eastern time
>
>Question from Charlene Douglas, Desire2Learn:
>    Building on your response to Stephen Grieco, where do you see ERPs
in this? For instance, the Wisconsin Federation of Independent Colleges
and Universities (20+ campuses) just went with Jenzabar for everything
on their campus (SIS,financials, HR, LMS, portal, etc) and are doing
this at a very affordable price. Do you see systems such as Oracle
(PeopleSoft), Datatel, SunGard going more into this area of providing
everything for an institution? Do you see this as a good thing or a bad
thing for higher education?

>Michael Zastrocky:
>    As budgets continue to remain tight and demand for IT support and
services grow, we will find that institutions must make some hard
choices on how they spend what they spend. ERP or administrative apps
are extremely important but no institution can gather much value from
saying they do payroll better than another institution. Shared services
and collaborative efforts like the Wisconsin project will likely be more
common and Datatel, SunGard and Oracle have similar projects in place.
We think these opportunities for shared services will grow in the
future.