View LISTSERV archives

ITCOMM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ITCOMM Home

ITCOMM  December 2007

ITCOMM December 2007

Re: Your comments

Al Gonzalez <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE IT Communications Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:34:14 -0500

Hello everyone, here is what we have at Cornell. We have defined three
levels of emergency. These are:

_Level 1:_ A localized, contained incident that is quickly resolved with
internal resources of limited help.

_Level 2:_ A major emergency that impacts portions of the campus, and
that may affect mission-critical functions or life safety.

_Level 3:_ An emergency that involves the entire campus and surrounding
community.

Like Cathy and Lisa describe, each situation calls for unique
communications. The owners of any communication is the VP of
Communications and his staff. Currently we are all working on an
emergency plan that covers workflow for any situations deemed to be
Level 1-Level 3.

Our main web areas of information are:

http://www.cornell.edu/

http://www.cornell.edu/about/status/
http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/

and

emergency.cornell.edu which is to be used if anything were to bring down
cornell.edu.

Depending on what the situation is, identified Communication staff would
be responsible for any communication and IT's role is to support of any
or all of the venues listed above.

As I mentioned above, the VP of Communications is responsible for all
emergency communications. He may have set aside a budget just for
emergency preparedness. In IT we are currently dealing with what
emergency gear should be sponsored for our key and essential personnel.
This is an ongoing item and we don't have a budget for this yet. One may
be coming.

Al Gonzalez

Asst. Director, IWS

126 CCC, Garden Ave.