CIO February 2009

Re: Savings with Open Source

"Ouska, Julie" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:35:04 -0700

I agree with Rob.  We are in the final stages of an RFP process for an LMS as our current contract is up.  Part of our analysis has been a total cost of ownership assessment and we did not find open source to be significantly less expensive. What you give up in license fees you may gain back in internal support costs especially if you want to do modifications or add-ons to the base software.   It really comes down to more of a philosophical decision as to whether you want to be a part of the open source community or not.  I would never approach open source as a cost saving measure.   Plus switching course management systems should require significant faculty input as they would have to evaluate the teaching and learning capabilities, so it should not be looked upon as just an IT cost saving measure.

Julie

Julie Ouska
CIO/VP of Information Technologies
Colorado Community College System
1059 Alton Way Bldg 758, Denver, CO  80230
(720) 858-2781

________________________________

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of Robert Paterson
Sent: Fri 2/6/2009 7:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIO] Savings with Open Source

All depends. Someone has to "manage" the open source product. Some places, large or small, these duties are easily assigned to existing staff and are absorbed. So places already have the talent in place to do this. So I know of small shops successfully running lots of open source. Other the costs are high in hiring developers to keep the products functional. Also what is the level of demand for modifications by the faculty....

Probably close to an even trade in overall cost to an institution.

My 2 cents.
Rob

Dr. Robert Paterson
Vice President, Information Technology, Planning and Research
Molloy College
1000 Hempstead Ave
Rockville Centre, NY 11571
516-678-5000 ex 6443

>>> "Kraus, Leah" <[log in to unmask]> 2/6/2009 9:10 AM >>>

I would also be interested in responses to this topic. I know that it has come up in the past. We are running Blackboard that was formerly webct and have gone through that migration.

Thank you,

Leah

slogo_smallest <http://www.uncw.edu/itsd/>

Leah Kraus